Westville boys were crowned Champions of the inaugural KZN 1st Team Hockey Schools Tournament held at Kearsney over the weekend.

Westville were drawn in a group with Thomas Moore, St Charles and Clifton. They ended up finishing top of the group on goal difference over Clifton, scoring 13 goals and conceding just 2 goals, to qualify for the semi-final against Kearsney.

Westville played St Charles in their first game of the Tournament, and came out convincing 4-1 winners against a good St Charles outfit, with goals from Mbuso Mgobozi (3) and Matthew Davies. Westville had some good build up play but became too direct as the game went on, allowing St Charles back in the game.  Westville was pleased with the positive start.

Game two saw Westville play against Thomas Moore in the night game.  They started the game at a really good tempo and continued this throughout the game.  Westville scored some fantastic goals, with a few players getting on the scoresheet: Thomo (2), Davies (2), Gibbon, Careny, Ntshangase and Way.

Game three of the group saw a top of the table clash against Clifton.  The game was quite slow and lethargic early on, with the heat taking its toll.   Clifton went 1-0 up with a fantastic finish after a good baseline run from Matthew Lewis.   Westville found themselves level with a good penalty corner flick from Keagan de Castro and the game ended 1-1 with Westville finishing top on goal difference.

Westville and Kearsney watched Clifton play out a comeback victory to beat Michaelhouse and book their place in the final.  Arguably the biggest game of the Tournament with the rivals playing to a 1-1 draw earlier in the season.

This Semi vs. Kearsney started at a very high tempo with both teams trying to take control early on.  Westville had the better start taking the lead with a well taken goal at the near post by Westville defender, Ryan Harburn. Kearsney came back strong in the second half and equalized early on. Westville found themselves back in the lead 2-1 with a fantastic finish from striker, Caleb Carney. Westville were then 3-1 up with a good second phase penalty corner finish from Keagan de Castro. Once again, Kearsney fought back to keep the game close at 3-2 with 5 minutes to go,  but Westville held on to record a fantastic victory against their rivals.

The final saw Westville take on Clifton.  Westville started the game with much more intensity and purpose than the earlier game and thought they had gone 1-0 up early on,  but this was unfortunately ruled out because of an apparent back stick by midfielder, Max Teversham. This only spurred Westville on and they got themselves onto the scoreboard with a great finish from, Keegan Gibbon. The second half started at a good pace with Westville dominating possession once again and creating a few early chances with most of them coming through striker, Mbuso Mgobozi. They were 2-0 up 10 mins into the second half after Mbuso Mgobozi broke away from his defender who calmly slotted home. Westville killed off the game mid way through the second half with two more goals from Chad Carney and Keegan Gibbon to clinch the inaugural KZN 1st Team Schools Tournament.

Westville have continued their great start to this season with their 10th win of the season, extending their unbeaten run to 13 games.